Saturday, August 13, 2011

Beyond Method #6

Our library will be introducing Overdrive this Fall. We have many requests from our patrons for E-books. We also have MP3 books that patrons may load onto their computers then move to a MP3 player if they desire. The process is hardly streamlined like Overdrive, but it can be done. I think the simpler the process the less intimidating the technology. Unfortunately, many times when individuals try something new and have a frustrating experience, they then are less likely to give it another try later on. The process is getting more user friendly which is very reassuring and exciting.

I had never visited Project Gutenberg. I thought it was very easy to identify which file as associated with a specific reader. I did locate Great Expectation in its HTML format.

I am glad to know that Project Gutenberg exists and that it is available to our patrons. Due to budget cuts we have been without any e-books, so knowing we have the ability to point them to a number of e-books for free (minus perhaps a small donation) is a wonderful service to provide. I do think that after spending a little time searching their catalog that I could be of assistance is helping them use the HTML source. I didn't have the opportunity to play with any e-reader, but I feel certain with time that I would be able to help them download the material to their e-reader as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment