Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beyond Method # 10

I'm so grateful for web conferencing. I have attended several webinars and am amazed how included I feel even though I'm far away. I am also a distant learning student in the UNT MLIS Program. We have a live classroom software, Wimba, which allows for live classroom events. Recently in a storytelling course each member of the class presented a story via a web cam. We were able to receive immediate feedback and also put faces with our classmates' names.

My sister and I now Skype to stay in touch. I love it! I wish we had used it before now. While on a recent call with her I was also able to see and speak with my nephews! Technology is wonderful. It really is making the world a smaller place which is important since it is the only planet we have. We must be more thoughtful about how each of our choices impacts the rest of the world. We cannot control how others operate but by modeling considerate, responsible behavior, perhaps we can lead the way to saving this planet.

I had no idea that authors were Skyping. I can see where this would be a wonderful resource for book clubs and events. Library budgets being limited it is an affordable way to bring the authors to the readers without breaking the bank. It is also a great way for other libraries to connect, share ideas, and brainstorm about programming.

Without the ability to share in web conferencing, I would not be able to work on my Master's degree through UNT. I would not have important training opportunities such as those provided by Texas State Library and Archives Commission. Web conferencing is especially helpful to rural libraries who generally find their funds more limited as well as their access to training resources.

Skype is easy to use and very intuitive. Built in web cams and microphones have come a long way over the last few years making it possible to point and click our way into the global community!

No comments:

Post a Comment